Current:Home > reviewsNYC officials clear another storefront illegally housing dozens of migrants in unsafe conditions -WealthTrack
NYC officials clear another storefront illegally housing dozens of migrants in unsafe conditions
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 04:05:13
NEW YORK (AP) — New York City officials have cleared out a Bronx storefront illegally converted to house dozens of tenants that was run by the same person who operated one hosting as many as 70 migrants in a Queens furniture store.
The city Department of Buildings responded Wednesday to reports of an illegal conversion at a two-story commercial building in the borough’s Fordham neighborhood, WNBC reports.
Agency inspectors found 45 beds packed closely together on the first floor and basement of the building, along with extension cords, e-bikes, space heaters, hotplates and other fire hazards in the makeshift living quarters, the station reports.
City officials ordered the building vacated due to the “hazardous, life-threatening conditions” which included severe overcrowding and a lack of natural light and ventilation. The building’s landlord was also issued two violations for failure to maintain the building and for occupying the building contrary to city records.
The city’s Office of Emergency Management, which operates NYC’s migrant shelter system, is assisting displaced tenants, including referring people to asylum seeker services, according to WNBC.
The news station reports the storefront is run by Ebou Sarr, who operated a similar housing operation in Queens that was shut down Tuesday.
City officials ordered Sarr’s Wholesale Furniture vacated after finding the building’s first-floor commercial space and cellar had been converted into sleeping quarters, with 14 bunk beds and 13 beds tightly packed on both floors and able to fit about 41 people.
The native of Senegal had told reporters Tuesday that he was housing mostly migrant men from his West African nation and charging them $300 a month because they couldn’t afford a place to live after timing out of the city’s emergency shelter system for migrants.
No one answered phone numbers associated Sarr on Thursday and the city buildings department and emergency management office didn’t immediately respond to messages seeking comment.
veryGood! (378)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Things to know about Sweden’s monarchy as King Carl XVI celebrates 50 years on the throne
- The Red Sox have fired Chaim Bloom as they stumble toward a third last-place finish in 4 seasons
- Environmental groups urge regulators to shut down California reactor over safety, testing concerns
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Rubiales arrives at Spanish court to be questioned over his kiss of player at Women’s World Cup
- Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signs law restricting release of her travel, security records
- Katharine McPhee and David Foster Speak Out After Death of Son Rennie's Nanny
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Charges in St. Louis more than doubled after embattled St. Louis prosecutor resigned
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Repurposing dead spiders, counting cadaver nose hairs win Ig Nobels for comical scientific feats
- The Fall movies, TV and music we can't wait for
- Katharine McPhee and David Foster Speak Out After Death of Son Rennie's Nanny
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- 'One assault is too many': Attorneys for South Carolina inmate raped repeatedly in jail, speak out
- How hard will Hurricane Lee hit New England? The cold North Atlantic may decide that
- Pentagon says surveillance flights, not counterterrorism ops, have restarted in Niger
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Why are so many people behaving badly? 5 Things podcast
Yankees set date for Jasson Dominguez's Tommy John surgery. When will he return?
Bangladesh is struggling to cope with a record dengue outbreak in which 778 people have died
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Maine state police say they shot and killed a man who had bulletproof vest and rifle
Captured killer Danelo Cavalcante in max-security prison where Bill Cosby did time
Last defendant sentenced in North Dakota oil theft scheme